Wednesday, February 13, 2013

VALENTINE'S DAY ACROSTIC POEMS

I recently started teaching a Creative Writing class at my homeschool co-op for 6-8 year olds.   Writing hasn't been a favorite subject for Batman and I was hoping to start fresh with this class.  I created a syllabus that I think is lots of fun and already I'm seeing a lot of positive responses from my students.

The first week we had fun learning about acrostic poems.   Anyone can do this in a matter of minutes so it's great for those students who need a bit of a push to get them to write.    All you do is take a word and write the letters of the word vertically on a sheet of paper.  Now think of a word or sentence that starts with that specific letter.   

In honor of Valentine's Day I found pretty "love" paper so your child can write an acrostic poem.   Here is my son's version:

Laughing
                            Opening all my Valentine's
                       Visits to the park are fun
                     Eating yummy cookies

Practice writing acrostic poems using your name, the seasons, food, holidays, and so much more.   Check out pinterest for some great printables!

No comments:

Post a Comment