Thursday, August 30, 2012

FEEDING CHILDREN EVERYWHERE

Today was an experience I will never forget and I hope my son doesn't either.   A friend told me about the organization Feeding Children Everywhere.   Volunteers age 3 and up are encourage to donate their time to help put together food bags.   Healthy meals consisting of rice, beans, salt, and dried vegetables are put together in a plastic bag.   Needy families in your community are then eligible to pick up meal bags.   Add water, cook, and enjoy!


Everything was super organized during our local event.   I signed up online and received our tickets.   When we got there we first had to wash our hands, put on plastic gloves, and then we got to put on our hair net.    It took a bit of encouragement to get my son halfway excited about wearing the hair net.   At least they came in blue which is his favorite color.


Teams of at least seven people scooped the ingredients into a bag.   Then onto the next group of people who sealed the bags and then boxed them up.        My five year old did an awesome job!  His favorite job was scooping the dried vegetables into the funnel.


The goal was to be able to feed 3 million people this week.   In just a few hours we helped make 104,000 bags!!!    WOW!!!!!

Check out Feeding People Everywhere!  I can't wait until later this fall when we'll head back to volunteer.   Families in Africa will be recipients of the food at that time.







1 comment:

  1. This is awesome!!! Let us know if its happening again in our area!

    ReplyDelete